Monday, February 20, 2012

SLOWER EQUALS WHAT?

I taught a morning class yesterday for a friend - a basic/intermediate class.  And, I had six students in the room, 5 of whom had done little yoga.

How do I know this?  Well, first -- I asked.  Then, 2 were teens (about 13 years); I doubt they've done much yoga (or much in-depth yoga).  Their Mothers were in attendance, as well -- one saying she was new; the other had a bit more experience. The 5th person, well let's just say the mat tells your truth.  Not being critical here, but the 1/2" thick black foam is kind of a give away.

The teens and their mothers all asked if I was going to teach something 'different' from their last class.  I honestly didn't know who had taught their last class, but I could truthfully say 'yes, it will be different, because I am not that teacher.'

Settled in the room, I introduced myself (which I often forget to do), checked in on injuries, and we began.

The first down dog gives everyone's experience (or training) away.  Rounded backs, lifted heels and heads, crooked and lifted palms -- like that.  Still not being critical, just setting the scenario for you.

One of my first jobs was the 'down dog primer' -- checking hands for placement and foundational integrity, asking people to keep their knees bent until their hips are lifted, then - keeping the back as it feels with knees bent - begin to extend the thighs towards the wall behind, straightening the knees and allowing the heels to descend.

That done, we continued to move.  Everyone held their own, the teens listened and did 99% of what I asked - as did their Mothers.  The other 2 followed instructions impeccably.  Based on what I observed to be the experience level of the 5 (of 6) students, we moved carefully.  About 3/4 of the way through the class, I asked:  "Well, tell me, is this different from your other class(es)?"

Response:  "It's slower."

Bite my tongue (so hard not to offer "well slower is sometimes better"). Continue teaching. Resist the temptation to speed it up. Keep teaching what the majority of the group needs.  But, I can't honestly say I liked the answer.  I much prefer hearing "this is great" or "I love hearing why we do stuff" -- things like that; not "it's slower".

Took them to the floor, a few twists, then supta tadasana (to experience back of thighs touching the floor), then a brief meditation as they lay relaxed, then savasana.  

Slower.  Damm!

But, in my heart I know it was right for everyone, even the sixth person (who is dealing with a sore right hip). As a friend pointed out to me yesterday, my training and my study equal a well-schooled yoga teacher who will challenge students and keep them safe.

Thank you to Adam Ballenger, Desiree Rumbaugh, Sundari Lucey, Martin & Jordan Kirk, Christina Sell, and to John Friend for teaching me to teach.  Best of all, for offering me the knowledge to recognize that sometimes slower is better.

Today?  Library is closed for the President's holiday; planning for my workshop on Saturday; spend some time with the Grand-Dudes.

Hope you have a great Monday,

2 comments:

JoY said...

I totally feel you on the "it's slower" tip. IMO we could all use a little slower, eh? Tough not reacting to our fierce love of the Honey Flow! We just keep doing what we do, and they see... I had a gal in my class yesterday I had made up in my mind was CERTAIN to hate my conversely slow classes vs the faster vinyasa's at the studio-- Yesterday she asked my advice during practice, and I interpret that as ground work for a trusting relationship - she must like something I'm doing! :)
Keep up the good work.

Jocellyn said...

I'm an ashtanga practitioner, but teach ashtanga-inspred flow classes at my school college. I remember after one class this girl offered to bring in some "yoga music." I had to kindly tell her that although I have gone to classes that played music, it is not how I like to structure my class. People sometimes flow to the music when they should be listening to their own bodies, which can cause injury. She didn't seem offended, but I felt a little pull of to appease or not to appease (ps: still don't play music. ojjayi is much better)