Tuesday, February 21, 2012

THINGS HAVE CHANGED BUT THEY HAVEN'T

HUH?

What do I mean by that title?  That things are different.  Anusara Yoga is in the throes of change -- many of us hope the change will be for the good and that we will move forward as a strong system, tho with a different management style.  There is the possibility that it all may come apart; we will splinter, still friends but studying with different groups/schools, teaching with Anusara in our history but different verbiage.  All still good yoga teachers, just not within the community we've grown accustomed to.

I look back on the week and what hasn't changed?  My thirst for knowledge.  I am still reading Doug Kellar's Yoga as Therapy book, and - when the house is quiet - I'm listening to Eric Stoneberg's teleseminars; current topic is Ganesh.

Another difference:  I've been on the elliptical trainer three times in three days.  Just getting in 10 minutes, with 2 to warm up and 2 to cool down (14 in all !).  Then, going to my mat, working on the exercises outlined in Mr. Kellar's book, experimenting with balls, blocks, rolls, movement.  I've even tried jump roping -- just once, tho.  Maybe I'll give it another try.

I've been teaching - that hasn't changed, either.  (Just read yesterday's post.)  I filled in last night and taught a Hatha & Meditation Class - 60 minutes (how do you teach ANYTHING in 60 minutes).  My plan was to move students for 20 minutes, do 5 minutes of meditation, and repeat.  I got stuck focusing on one student's back issue -- which reminds me that I need to go back to Mr Kellar's book and re-read the section on the psoas and the effect of trauma on it's functioning.  My initial reaction to her description of the back pain, cause, lack of definitive diagnosis, and recent hip discomfort make me think there may be a connection.  We'll see.

Back to the class -- we did one meditation, but ran out of time - so, just did a supported savasana; a little longer than usual.  They appeared to like it; who wouldn't?

Today?  Teaching Gentle/Restorative at 2pm; then Prenatal at 4:30pm. Housework inbetween. Probably will check in on Facebook, tho the vitriol there is getting tough to handle.  Maybe I'll just stay on my own page, rather than venture into the discussion groups formed as a result of the upheaval.

I hope you have a great Tuesday,

No comments: