Friday, February 10, 2012

VIDEO'ING (or, how to teach a private)

I made plans to video my class yesterday (4pm, Temecula).  For the past 4-6 weeks, there have consistently been six in the room -- the required number for a video.  I computed that, if those six arrived and I invited a few more, I'd have plenty of students to meet the requirement.

My plan included arriving early (I'd made plans to use the large room, which makes video'ing possible), getting camera set-up and ready, and review my plans for the class at least one more time. Then, I thought, I'd have a few extra minutes to move a bit; to get warmed up.

So (the ever-present 'so'), all went according to plan, except the student part.  Just one person came to class.  I must admit that I was a bit relieved -- to video with the stress of the past few days and months, video'ing seemed a bit silly.  I do want to get it done, tho; I'd like to accomplish Certification, sooner than later.

Now, with one student in the room, this does NOT a video make. Shift gears, adjust attitude (mine), teach the one. She was a new-to-the-studio student; had done yoga a few times many years ago. And, many years ago had suffered a horseback riding accident that damaged her back and left hip.  Perfect private material.  We began; she quickly tired, so I slowed things down a bit and - rather than a 'regular' class - got therapeutic on her.  Not sure that's what she was looking for, but that's what she got.

We worked with feet, legs, got to hips and back.  As I talked and she moved, she kept saying things like 'this is just what I need', 'I wondered why my back was hurting in that area', 'my neck has been hurting lately, as well', and 'my feet cramp - will this help?'.  I watched her move -- beautiful body awareness.  But a body that has definitely been injured - short on the right side, torqued to the right through the torso, left shoulder well above the right and moving towards the front plane of the body.

After one hour, to her relief - I'm sure, I asked her to lie down, do a twist keeping the core muscles activated, then move through apanasana, and into savasana.

As we left the room, I thought "no video, but this - this private - needed to happen".  Things work in interesting ways.

Leaves me wondering, however, WILL I EVER GET THAT VIDEO DONE?

Hope you have a great Friday,

No comments: