Tuesday, May 8, 2012

AT THE LIBRARY . . .

As many of you know, each Monday from 3-4pm, I teach a class at the Fallbrook Library.  This is my gift to my new community. I volunteer my time, students come into class at no charge.

To say this is a 'traditional' yoga class would be stretching it a bit. Many have never done yoga, or have done a different style, or perhaps are returning to the practice. Ages range from 12 to 60+. Average attendance lately is 20. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that about 15 of those are 'regulars', the rest are newcomers (who may become regulars).

Yesterday's class was no different than what I've described. We worked on the 'little' things -- feet parallel, thighs back, arms reaching for the fullest stretch possible. Then, a couple challenges -- first vasisthasana (side plank). Out of the room, the comment heard was "I'm too heavy for this". What did I do?  A short demo and talk about involving the rest of the body in the pose, not just the poor wrist and arm holding it up. "Keep hips high"; "pull yourself up out of the lower arm, using the reach of the upper arm", "use your leg strength".  Second time around was better, I think (tho the man who made the comment was not convinced; his pose looked better, tho).

Then malasana (squat), some with heels on a blanket.  Here's a good example of the freedom I'm feeling while teaching -- rather than look out at a room of people half-squatting, and leave it at that - moving on to another, more accessible, pose.  We all stood up, and I asked them -- "I notice many of you bent your knees, made it halfway down, then stopped.  Why?"  One person expressed concern about the knees, the rest had simply never done it before (or, it's been a long time).  Mystery resolved, we made some adjustments and tried it again with more success.  (I must tell you, it is so much more freeing to teach like this -- more like a conversation, than a monologue.)

Now, as long as I've got everyone in malasana, why not go for bakasana?  (This is something I have tried very little of with this group -- arm balances!)  Several in the room had brief moments of elevation, many at least tried, some just stood and watched.  I didn't push anyone to try the pose who wasn't comfortable doing it.  I even offered them the option of standing on a block, then moving into the pose -- which, for some makes it more accessible.  Fortunately, no one did any massive face plants, and we moved on.

A one-hour class restricts how far we can go; how much we can do.  There just isn't time to do the full spectrum.  We finished out class with some back lying poses and savasana.  My closing line -- "When I step out of my comfort zone, I remember my power; in the past, I used to short-change myself in this regard, saying 'I can't do this or that', and not giving it a try.  Everyone tried and even if we didn't succeed today, we tried. That bodes well for the next time."  Audible groan from the room (see, I said it wasn't your usual class).

Hope you have a great Tuesday.

No comments: