Friday, May 4, 2012

THE SIDE EFFECTS . . .

There are apparent side effects to practicing weekly with Desiree Rumbaugh.  These are coming out as I teach.

The first, very outstanding one is the re-invigorated access to teachings that I had forgotten.  You know -- like those poses you forget about, or the poses you don't enjoy doing and, therefore, teach less often.  I'm loving being reminded each week that there is much more, so much that it is easy to get stuck teaching the familiar and comfortable. I am coming out of that rut (just ask the students).  Knowledge.

My strength is coming back.  Oh, I can't do all the poses yet, but I am regaining much of the strength that I had lost over the past year.  This has been partly my lack of initiative; but, also, due to frequent bouts with colds, flu, etc.  The practice -- the act of committing to this weekly get-together -- is increasing my strength, slowly but surely.  And, when I am on my mat alone, I am more likely to do the more challenging stuff.  Accountability.  

There's another "Leslie" appearing in the 'Seat of the Teacher'.  Huh?  Yesterday, as I taught, I heard myself using phrases, exclamations, encouragements previously not part of my vocabulary.  I might sum it up as more lively, more involved, more fun(?).  I hope so.  Enjoyment.  

I'm sure there are more 'side effects' yet to be revealed, but this last one -- enjoyment -- is a real boon to my teaching.  I am able to relax, I notice I'm more engaged with the students, I am having fun.  

Just an update.  Hope you have a great Friday!

No comments: