Thursday, May 10, 2012

"JUMP BACK" she instructed . . .

"Jump back" she instructed and my mind went in to frantic mode -- jumping, my nemesis. In fact, anything that has me lifting feet from floor, propelling them in a direction away from my hands, is not (and never has been) in my repertoire.  Most times I will ignore these instructions to jump - stepping instead. Something about this instruction seemed to say 'do it' and, in a room of thirty 50+ year olds (all giving it the good old college try; many succeeding beautifully), what can one do but try to comply.

So . . .

Uttanasana, hands on floor, hamstrings are tight - so step back a few inches from hands, energize arms-shoulders-shoulder blades, melt heart, bring weight forward over hands, take a breath, now JUMP BACK, land in chaturanga dandasana (imagine a push-up just before you reach the ground and hit your 'pause' button). Good instructions, but for someone like me (who has never been a good or willing jumper), challenging. I asked the questions "how about those of us who have never jumped, avoided it - to be perfectly honest?".  Well, a demo.

A demo by my good friend Debra (last name left out to protect the innocent).  Same instructions, beautiful jump-back, but - because she allowed herself to go to the floor rather than hit her 'pause' button, she got up and did it again.  Not just twice, three times -- until there was a definite 'pause' before going to the floor. Beautiful. Impressive. Envy-producing.  (BTW, the repeated attempts were Debra's idea, not forced on her by anyone -- just being clear here -- what a trooper!)

Back to my mat for a few more tries.  Jump back to chaturanga dandasana (the paused push-up), go to down dog, NOW JUMP FORWARD. I'm about filled to the brim with 'jumping', when lo-and-behold, my jump forward was at least 4 inches closer to my hands than EVER. Progress.

The previous 4 paragraphs have been dedicated to our 'Wisdom Warriors' practice yesterday (Wednesday). Like each of the last 3 weeks, it was fun. It was comfortable. It felt safe to do (or not do) the poses (most were offered with options - EXCEPT that 'jumping' part).  We worked on arm strength and shoulder opening in preparation for backbending. Geri brought out the chairs (oh no, the chairs!).  I never knew you could do so much with chairs. Just a simple folding chair; one like you can buy at any retail store. So much good stuff.

So much good stuff, that I think I just came up with my plan for today's Basics class. Fun.

Wednesdays are fast becoming one of the best days of my week. Thank you, thank you, thank you to Desiree, Geri, and all my new and inspiring friends!

Now, on to Thursday.

No comments: