Thursday, July 26, 2012

INSPIRATION: ROLLING (& SOME OTHER STUFF)

Each week, I've posted about my experience in the Wisdom Warrior practice (for 50+ year olds). It's become a habit of sorts, and an inspiration to write during a time of flux in the Anusara world.

Yesterday was no different. The only difference, I'd add, is that Geri led the practice for us (Desiree is in Kripalu, I think, teaching other lucky people).

One of the remarkable things about Geri is her level of 'calm'. I've never seen her flustered, never out of sorts, never in that near-panic state some of us experience regularly. Yesterday was no different -- calm, controlled, deliberate in speech, and - also - having some fun with us. Good stuff!

And, the 'rolling' part -- well, that describes my yoga experience during the 2 hour practice yesterday. Seems I did more rolling than usual -- as in rolling out of poses, rolling into my partner's support in handstand (???), rolling onto my head even (which, I might add, remained a bit tender for a while). What's good about 'rolling'? Well, it's NOT falling. You're close to the ground (if not on the ground), so it's not too painful (unless you roll onto your head); and, if you plan your 'roll' right, you'll end up in the supportive arms of your yoga partner (which is embarrassing, but not painful).

As my Mother used to say when I was learning to ski -- if you don't fall (or roll) once in a while, you're being too cautious; you're not 'going for it'. OK, OK, Mom. Got it, got the point.  

The rest of my day yesterday? I taught an Intermediate/Advanced class in the morning (maybe that's the reason for my 'rolling' -- my equilibrium was thrown off by this change in teaching style).  As I prepared in the days leading up to this experience, I kept hearing from others 'just kick their ___'s', and they'll be happy.  I decided, instead, to use some of the sequencing tips I've picked up lately from Christina Sell, and lead the group towards a pose. Result? At the end of class, they were smiling. I even heard "I'll be sore tomorrow". Need I say more?

And the rest of the day?  I treated myself to a healthy salad after the practice, then contentedly drove home in almost-rushhour traffic (which looks like rushhour traffic in most other towns).

Today?  Teaching Gentle/Therapeutic Yoga at 12:30 at Yoga For Life, then Basics, 4pm at Living Yoga.

Hope you have a great Thursday!

No comments: