Thursday, August 9, 2012

OF TOMATOES AND ENSTACY

"The practice of yoga helps us connect with that part of ourselves that is always virgin and untouched: the place within us that can never be damaged. While pain may be the catalyst that brings us to yoga practice, it is joy that renews our commitment.  As our glimpses of calm and clarity become more frequent, and as our response to the challenges of life becomes more skillful, we wish to practice not simply to get ourselves out of a fix, but also to strengthen our connection with the base state of contentment.  The joy that I refer to is not the climactic high we associate with excitement or stimulation, but a deep sense of awe and wonder that can suffuse the most ordinary things and the most ordinary moments.  This joy arises out of our own intrinsic nature and does not depend on external circumstances.  Thus one of the highest expressions of this state of being, samadhi, is translated most accurately not as ecstasy, which means "to stand outside the ordinary self", but enstacy, which means "to stand inside the Self". "

(A quote from Donna Farhi, that I found online when 'googling' the 
word enstacy - A word coined by Georg Feuerstein.)

As I re-typed the above paragraph, I had a great sense of gratitude to Geri Portnoy for introducing me to this word.  I also kept thinking, to myself, 'yup, that's us -- the Wisdom Warriors'. 

Geri led our practice yesterday, taking time to tell us the story of tomatoes and a recent trip to the midwest (you had to be there). Her theme correlated to 'enstacy', sharing much of what is written above. She then took us through a hot (as in temperature) practice, leaving my mat a bit soggy, my hair a mess, what little make-up I had on - gone.  

Why do I think this quote applies to us? Well, some of us began the practice for just what is stated -- to get ourselves out of a fix -- be it pain from an injury; stagnated physical conditioning (need something new); depressed or out of sorts, maybe -- like that. 

I also know that some of us came just out of curiosity or at a friend's request -- owning a yoga studio and watching people come and go, taught me that. The people who stay in the practice - no matter how or why they started - do become more clear, more skillful, more contented.   

And, as I looked around the room at the women practicing alongside me, I see that -- a contentment, yet tied to a desire to know more, to experience more, to 'stand inside the self' if only for 2 hours once a week.  

For me, it is not about the 'big pose' (how/when do I get there, and will there be a photographer around), it's about the 'pieces and parts' -- how does that foot feel wrapped around your triceps? can I feel/sense the tip of my shoulder blades? -- like that (and, something I've said before).  

So, add this new word to my vocabulary - enstacy.  Thanks, Geri.  

The week has been good - a great class at the Fallbrook Library on Monday (3pm & free). We took a bus ride (thanks, Christina) north to bakasana (crow).  Fun ride!  Tuesday's therapeutics class presented with one sore neck (actually everyone could relate to that complaint), a sore knee, and a chronic condition.  The prenatal class turned into a private -- I'm hoping that was the result of the extreme heat that day. Once again, tho, these things happen for a reason, and - since the young mother was struggling with some hip issues - we were able to focus on that.  

Today?  Another Therapeutic/Gentle class at YogaForLife (12:30pm), and Basics at Living Yoga (4pm).  

Hope your Thursday is great!  Since it sounds like almost everywhere is dealing with higher than normal temps, stay cool, wherever you are.  

1 comment:

dw said...

Thank you Leslie. Thank you Geri! I too was present for WW. I returned home and found myself looking at my tomatoes in my garden with a whole new perspective. Simply delicious . Simply "Enstacy."