Sunday, September 16, 2012

MY WEEK IN REVIEW

It's been a good week, so - I thought - what better topic than the week's activities for this post.  And, I am trying to get back into posting mode; something that's been missing for a while.

It all began last Monday at the Fallbrook Library.  I teach there from 3-4 pm each Monday, a one-hour class for all levels, ages (above 12 years), shapes, sizes, gender, etc.  Everyone is welcome. The fact that the Library had been closed the previous week (Labor Day) affected attendance; just 20 in class this week (and, I'm complaining?!?!?!?).  FYI, I NEVER have had 20 in my classes until I began this class (caveat: it is free, but that doesn't mean I am not developing a loyal following).

The challenge in teaching this type of class is that 'all levels' means you will have a very experienced student in one part of the room and a beginner in another. How to handle this? Well, I have to admit I have no set rule -- I just observe, ask for what I think the person can offer, and go from there.  I do, however, keep a close eye on the beginning students. To satisfy the experienced person(s), I'll throw in an arm balance, or a challenging twist pose, something for them to wrap their heads (and bodies) around; modifying it for newer students.

Tuesday, I spent the morning learning more about our sprinkling system (very important when you have 20 avocado and 10 citrus trees, plus assorted other plants).  Then, it was get ready, get in the car and drive 10 miles north to Temecula to teach the 2:00 Gentle/Therapeutic class at Living Yoga Center.  2 in that class (which is the normal attendance - I think the word 'Therapeutic' keeps people away). One student with knee issues, another with just malaise (a general feeling of discomfort).  I was able to focus on knee stuff and movement that would help to strengthen muscles/ligaments above and below. The person with 'malaise' was happy to just move a bit and loosen up.

I drove to Del Mar on Wednesday for the Wisdom Warriors Practice with Geri Portnoy (after a morning spent with two of my Grand-Dudes, plus some time at Lululemon and the Apple Store).  I wrote about this particular practice in an earlier post, so won't write much more here; except to say that Wisdom Warriors is the BEST thing that's happened to me in years.

Thursday, another Gentle/Therapeutic class - this one at Yoga For Life in Temecula. This is a new class for me, I've just been teaching it for 3 months. Since the beginning, I've consistently had 3-4 students each week. This week, however, 12:30 arrived and I was alone in the room. I decided to practice a bit on my own, and at 12:35 in walked one of the 'regulars' for this class. Switching gears, we talked about what she would like to focus on and began. At 12:40, in walked another 'regular'. Switching gears again, we modified the practice to include some chair work and began. Got thru my centering talk when, at 12:45, a new student arrived (one I had been told might be in class). Needless to say, we switched gears again and began. Each of these students has a very different range in their practice -- one, a healing shoulder strain and very fit; two, a significant illness last winter/spring has left her weak, hence the chairs; and, the third, 5 (yes, five) herniated discs as a result of many auto accidents (none of them her fault).  Hard to describe this class -- lots of trial and error, modifications, talk. Some days are like that, yeah they are.  (Anyone remember where that saying came from?)

The exciting part of Thursday was my own Wisdom Warriors practice at Living Yoga in Temecula. Yes, I've started a group for Temecula's (and surrounding area) 50+ year olds. Best part, 6 showed up for the 2:30-3pm practice! All six are regular students in the Gentle classes, and some venture into the Basic or Intermediate classes.  I don't believe any had done this type of 'practice' before - meaning, where the teacher is a participant and is simply announcing poses, doing poses, and not correcting (unless the 'danger' flag presents itself).  I had a great time, and I think most of the participants did, as well.  The proof will be whether they return and if they bring their friends.  We'll see, and I'm hopeful.

Friday, another Gentle class at Living Yoga (do you see a 'niche' developing here?). 8 in the room - a large class for this type. Two were visitors -- experienced yogis from Breckenridge, who were willing and able to tone it down a bit for this class.

And, finally, Saturday, my second in a 4-class workshop series at Yoga For Life -- this one called "Healthy Knees" (title borrowed from an old Florida friend).  This series began with the feet, progressed to the knees, and next month we will focus on the hips. In November, the finale will be "Putting It All Together" - a general workshop of standing poses, hip openers, etc.  It was good for me and I believe everyone left with a smile on their face and a new awareness of their knees. What did I learn -- the knees are fascinating, and cannot be covered completely in just 2 hours; you need more like 2-3 days.

Today?  Well, it's a day off and it is my son, Derek's, 38th birthday. I've got a bit of shopping to do, then will go to a birthday dinner to help him celebrate his day with family (and, probably, some football).

All in all, a great week.  I hope yours was good and that you look forward to good times in the next and coming weeks.

Take care,

No comments: