Thursday, October 18, 2012

DON'T MISS A PRACTICE . . .

Yesterday, was our Wisdom Warriors practice.  I had missed the previous week, not something I'll do again (if I can help it).  I still felt strong, but clearly she is on a mission to have us create a container of stability onto which our poses will build.  Seemingly simple poses, but complex and challenging under Desiree's guidance.

While keeping ribs knitted (lowest ribs moving to midline and towards spine), belly energized, tailbone moving towards heels; then we were asked to work the muscles supporting our our shoulders and shoulder blades(!?!?!).  IN EVERY POSE.

Now, I am not complaining.  This is work I need to do.  When I began my yoga practice, I was 48 years old and quickly moving into the family pattern of rounded posture.  To this day, I still get the comment from BJ Galvan each time I see her "My god I can't believe your back!  So different!"  That's a great compliment, by the way.  It means that all this work is working!

And, a good moment -- welcoming Bob into our fold.  Bob is 74; that means I am no longer the oldest. YES!  Plus, he's a great yogi, with a wonderful spirit.

About my teaching -- I had a very rewarding Therapeutic Class on Tuesday.  A student who had struggled thru 4 surgeries in the span of one month to correct issues with her back (L4-5).  This had happened one year ago, and she had finally gotten up the nerve/gumption/whatever to step into a yoga class (first one ever).  She came to my class!

To be honest, when someone comes into my class after back surgery I get nervous - nervous about just what they will be willing/able to do, nervous about whether what I am suggesting is appropriate, nervous about whether the student will 'like' it (the yoga).  

We moved, she did everything I asked. There was a bit of tentative movement; especially when it came to twisting.  I was glad I was there and attentive enough to offer her a helping hand as she brought knees back to center after twisting off to one side.  It all went very well.

Afterwards, she made the effort to spend a few minutes, and to tell me that she was very happy with the class, that - despite the fear - everything she did felt good and beneficial for her.  I thanked her.  Love hearing about a positive experience.

A good day.

Today?  Another therapeutic class at Yoga For Life; then, Wisdom Warriors at Living Yoga Center.

No comments: