Thursday, October 25, 2012

FAVORITE LINE?

Of course, this post is triggered by the Wisdom Warriors practice yesterday (Wednesday) with Desiree Rumbaugh.  And, as I searched my memory bank for 'cute, catchy' titles, up came the chosen one; which refers to the line I remember vividly from this practice.

I have always struggled with padangusthasana.  Call it tight hamstrings, call it lack of desire or giving up, call it whatever-you-want; it just has always been a challenge.  And, it was one I knew I would always face when entering a workshop/training with John Friend.  Unfortunately, that didn't make me work any harder towards perfecting it; in fact, I avoid it -- like the plague.  I don't even ask my students to give it a try.

Reel back to yesterday, a practice focusing on bending -- forward, sideways, and - yes - backwards. A demo:  Come to standing, balance on one leg a bit. Reach down for the foot - engage ribs and belly - hold the foot - begin to stand extending the leg.  Here is the point for the favorite line of the practice:  "once you get this far (leg extended), it's just a short trip to standing tall".  OK.  Got it.  Giving it a try.  What happens?

With a little verbal chatter in the room, I stood with right ankle on left knee (think the number 4). I pulled in my ribs and belly - energizing the midsection.  I reached down with right hand to hold the outer edge of the right foot. Keeping belly engaged, even slightly hunched, I lifted foot away.  Pressing hand into foot, foot into hand, belly engaged, I began to (tentatively) straighten the leg. Whoa -- it did it!  It straightened, with my hand still holding the foot!

And, it probably is a short journey to standing tall.  I'm happy with straightening the leg and slightly lifting my torso, looking across the aisle at a fellow 'Warrior'.

I must admit there was no hamstring issue; they felt fine. No more excuses.

And, my teaching?  Library class still going strong - averaging 20 loyal, fun-loving students in the room every Monday.  Therapeutics/Gentle classes also going well -- still small, but I think that will always be the case (and, perhaps, that's for the best).  My 'Wisdom Warriors' practice will happen today. Looking forward to sharing some of what we did yesterday with them.

Hope you have a great Thursday,

No comments: