Thursday, November 1, 2012

EXPLORING THE LAND OF GUITARS . . .

And, I teach yoga.  What's that about?

I recently started playing the guitar (not sure I can call it playing yet; practicing is more like it).  Anyway, for 3 months, I've been strumming and plucking away.  Putting my fingers into little known shapes, trying to make music. Re-shaping, so to speak (kind of like our yoga practice at times).

So far, I have 3 guitars (a sign of my enthusiasm and e-bay's draw).  The first one I bought last year, but haven't given much attention -- it's small, more of a traveling guitar.  So, I bought another, larger one, began practicing in more earnest and even began lessons (taken 4, so far).  Then, the lure of the acoustic and electric guitar got me, so I bought another -- bringing my arsenal to 3.  (This is a family trait, learned well from my Father.)

I took the favored guitar in to Carlsbad yesterday, where I was to spend time with youngest grandson - Carson (age 2). He was excited to see it arrive (tho he had never seen me with a guitar before), wanted to 'play' it (pull the strings is a more apt description).  After brothers and Mom left, Carson and I loaded into the car, and went to the 'eetar' store, where Grandma did her 'grandma' thing -- buying him a bright green ukulele (his very own 'eetar').  We then walked a bit, had lunch at a local cafe, and it was back to the house to play the 'eetars'.

Hold on, I'm getting to the yoga.

Once Mom & brothers arrived home, I was off to Wisdom Warriors in Del Mar.  It made me very happy that Carson excitedly ran to the door to show Mom his 'eetar' (the pick given to him by the 'eetar' store owner, was also a big hit).

And, about Wisdom Warriors?  A certain someone returned after a few weeks of resting her hip.  And, as a result, the practice focused on a more therapeutic hip and lower back practice.  Plus lots of ribs in and abs energized.  And, what do I have to say about that? It was all good -- my inner thighs are a bit tender with certain movements this morning, but in a good way.

I'll transmit much of what we worked on to my own Wisdom Warriors group this afternoon.  I say 'group' with a bit of tongue in cheek. Been holding this class for 8 weeks now -- biggest attendance was 7 in session 2; since then it's fluctuated.  Growth takes time.  Worried that some may think it's the 'old ladies' class' -- something one student said when she attended her first practice. Just keep plugging.

What else will happen today?  I teach a gentle/therapeutic class before the WW practice; I'm sure I'll use much of what Desiree showed us with that group, also.

Hope you have a great Thursday!

No comments: