Thursday, November 8, 2012

CREATIVE YOGA (A new class name?)

Wednesday (yesterday) was Wisdom Warriors day -- the practice with Desiree Rumbaugh reserved for those of us who practice yoga AND are over the age of 50.  By now, most of the dedicated readers of this blog are used to the idea of my writing about experiences -- if you're new, however, you will learn more about Wisdom Warriors here.

As I've mentioned before, the inception of this class has been a 'hallelujah moment' for my yoga practice.  Giving me inspiration, support, fun -- in a year fraught with disappointment for my advanced yoga certification aspirations.  Long sentence to say 'I was pretty upset about the time Des started Wisdom Warriors and now I feel better'.  It's also been savior to this blog -- offering me something to write about when my own teaching and writing felt 'less than'.  So much for the 'poor me'.

So yesterday, as I've done almost every Wednesday since April 2012, I loaded into my RED Volkswagen and headed into Del Mar (after getting my hair trimmed and colored - one must look good for this practice).  I met a friend in Carlsbad and we carpooled leisurely down the 101 (coast highway) to Del Mar, arriving early, ready to begin (this was Anne's first WW practice).

We set our mats across from one another, waited; Desiree began by talking about an article she read recently that speaks to the lack of creativity being encouraged in public education these days - a result of budget constraints, etc.  Anyway, this article encouraged her to speak to us and to work with us on a 'creative' way of getting into poses -- right up my alley -- specifically, backbends.

Chairs were pulled out, as were blocks and blankets.  The creative work began.  Exploring poses -- hands flat then up on fingertips, more opening -- ribs and belly engaged, more strength -- glutes engaged, hamstrings happier.  Like that.

Fun stuff -- rolling around on chairs, blocks, blankets -- feeling our shoulderblades against the cold aluminum of a chair seat is not the usual yoga class encounter, BUT it is creative.  So, that's how we went.

My friend survived and says she enjoyed it -- even sent me a thank you note last night. I enjoyed having someone to chat with during the drive to and fro, and to laugh with during the practice.

We all supported one another in some pretty challenging positions.  And, that's one of the main reasons we do this practice.

LOVE WISDOM WARRIORS !!!!

Today -- Teaching Gentle/Therapeutic at Yoga for Life in Temecula at 12:30; then guiding the Temecula Wisdom Warriors at 2:30pm at Living Yoga.

Hope you enjoy your Thursday!

No comments: